Althea Bare Essentials

Saturday, April 21, 2018 Philippines


Althea Korea has finally released their own skincare line called Bare Essentials. The 3-piece set, which consists of a cleanser, toner, and moisturizer, claims to be the only skincare routine you will ever need. Read more to know my thoughts about them!



When I try out new skincare products, I take my time. I usually try them one at a time in a span of two to three weeks. In this way, I can observe the changes and test the effectiveness of each product. For the Althea Bare Essentials set, I have been using the products three days at a time for three weeks. During the last week, I used them altogether for the collective review. Below are my verdicts. (This is sounding a lot like a thesis, I'm sorry but I'm serious about skincare...*wink*)

Note: I have dry (to normal) and sensitive skin.



Contour Cleanser

Price: PHP 300 | Details

Claims: 

Enriched with micro capsules, the contour cleanser will remove impurities and exfoliate the skin. It also claims to detoxify the skin and create a defined slim shape.

Verdict:

The cleanser-and-exfoliator in one is packed with microbeads. It has a highly dense consistency and has a strong floral scent. During cleansing, I felt that the microbeads are not rough on my skin. Nice. Once dry, I felt clean and fresh. Another thing that I noticed after a few seconds was how my skin started to feel tighter, which only meant that the cleanser did get rid of dirt and oil, and exfoliate effectively. 

A minor setback though - I noticed how my T-zone tends to be oily in the morning, which I think was related to the detoxifying claim of the cleanser. I think I would have LOVED this product if it does not detoxify.


Nevertheless, it is still a quality cleanser for an affordable price that certainly deserves praise. Aaand just to add - this is my Mom’s favorite cleanser to date. She's obsessed. 


Rating: 

3.8/5


Contour Cleanser, PHP 300



Primer water

Price: PHP 550 | Details

Claims:

Primer water is a 2-in-1 toner/primer which soothes and evens out the skin, prepping it for the next step - moisturizing - with a youthful glow.

Verdict:

The first thing I noticed was the primer water's formula. It's not based on water compared to other toners I have used, it's much thicker. It smells better too. Once applied, my skin feels hydrated and moisturized (considering this is not a moisturizer). It made my skin look healthy, and it felt healthy, too.

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to use this during the colder/winter seasons because duh, Philippines. I think it would have been best to use this NOT during summer.  


Important point - this made me glow up, bigtime. I love it for that.  


Rating:

4/5


Primer Water, PHP 550




Fixer cream

Price: PHP 640 | Details

Claims:

The fixer cream's goal is to provide 24-hour moisture as it penetrates into the skin, giving it the hydration it truly needs. 

Verdict:

This was the product that I was very excited about! The packaging looks elegant and expensive which is a glass container (very fancy, Althea!). Unfortunately, it does not have an applicator so it requires a pinky-finger dip to get the cream. It has a mild soap scent. The consistency of the product is lotion-like, thick and smooth. After application, I instantly noticed that I look like I have glass skin, shiny but not oily-looking, which is really popular today! My skin felt warm, supple and hydrated, which I looooove. Although, I prefer using it with a different toner that is not as moisturizing as the Primer Water to avoid being oily.

I absolutely recommend this if you have dry to normal skin, especially if your skin needs moisture. For my readers who have oily skin, you can utilize this at night before sleeping. 


I do think PHP 640 for a moisturizer is on the higher side of the budget scale, but I believe it's worth it.


Rating:

4.5/5


Fixer Cream, PHP 640

I would highly recommend the primer and cream to everyone who has dry skin. For those who have oily or combination skin, I recommend you get your hands on the cream, it works well with oil-control. For those who have sensitive skin, go get the toner - it's a great alternative to harsh toners usually sold in the drugstore. 

Overall, I am extremely impressed by Althea's first skincare line. I'd say that the cream was my favorite because it's perfect for my dry skin and I really enjoy looking glassy. Get it? 


Disclaimer: The products have been sent to me, rest assured all opinions stated are honest and were based on my experience after 2 weeks of use.

Have you tried any new skincare products recently?
Share your thoughts below.





4 comments

  1. Welcome back, Melissa the Mermaid! ♥ Love your new theme! Good choice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elaine! Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the revamp, Mel! Oh, and I just did a review on this, too, based on a perspective of someone who's oily naman. HAHAHA. But overall, I think the products are promising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Da!! Nakita ko nga yung review mo hehe! :D

      Delete

Want to share something? Don't forget to include your name and website!

Latest Instagrams

© Melissa the Mermaid. Design by FCD.