SEE: Bali in a Nutshell

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 Bali, Indonesia


Bali is an Indonesian province blessed with beautiful beaches and rich culture, which is why it's one of the most famous travel destinations in Asia. I have prepared a simple guide about everything I have learned about Bali and maybe explain why people, including me, fell in love with this island.  

GET TO KNOW BALI
Tourist spot index:
Kuta is famous for its wide stretch of white sand beaches, waterfront resort hotels, and all-night parties. Kuta is definitely where the party is at.
Seminyak is few minutes away from Kuta which has a more laid-back setting. Colorful umbrellas and bean bags paint the long beach alongside numerous restaurants. Sand is quite darker in color but the shore gives the most beautiful reflection of the sky, it resembles a mirror.
Canggu is a surfer's haven, which is most known for its tall waves. Plus, there are a lot of hipster cafes around which are inspired by both western and eastern culture. Canggu also holds one of the gorgeous sea-hugged temples of Bali, Tanah Lot.
Ubud is the culture capital of Bali. If you want an Eat-Pray-Love experience, this is the place for you. Cooking, yoga, and meditating classes are made available for tourists to showcase Balinese culture. Everything can be reached by walking distance - from the monkey forest to the temples. For shoppaholic babies like me, Ubud also holds tons of branded boutiques and the Ubud Market wherein you can buy beach apparel and souvenirs.   
Nusa Dua is located at the southeast of Bali. Nusa Dua is the nest of enormous 5-star hotel resorts and less-crowded beaches.
Jimbaran is located at the southwest of Bali, which is near the airport. It has a rocky beach but its famous for the line of restaurants that offer fresh seafood that would grant your candlelight-dinner-by-the-beach dreams.
Uluwatu is at the edge of southwest Bali. Similar to Canggu, it's also a surf spot with huge crazy waves. It also holds the Uluwatu Temple where the Kecuk Dance, a popular Balinese dance about the Balinese gods, is held.


Sunset in Seminyak Beach

Saraswati Temple in Ubud

Tanah Lot in Canggu

Nusa Dua Beach


WHEN TO VISIT
Dry season in Bali is from April to September. Wet season is from December to February. Nevertheless, there's no need to fret the wet season because rainy weather in Bali is still bearable. We went there on February, and for four days, it only rained once (and it lasted for only an hour).

WHERE TO STAY
Choosing your accommodation totally depends on the places you want to visit. If you want to explore more of Bali's beaches, I recommend staying in Canggu, or Seminyak. Canggu has the most Instagram-worthy and hipster cafes that are reachable via scooters. If you want to be where the party's at, Kuta is the place for you. For a more relaxing stay, I highly recommend Ubud.

Surprisingly, affordable hotels are all over Bali. With just $35-$50 (PHP 1500 - 2500) you can get a beautiful hotel room for two people, which is ten times cheaper compared to hotels here in Manila! However, I have booked our accommodations through Airbnb because I wanted to try the app and I was amazed with the super low rates of unique Balinese homes with a modern flavor. We booked Villa Lua in Canggu ($50 per night) for one night, which was so visually pleasing and artsy. We also booked Ubud Ku Guest House in Ubud ($20 per night) for 3 nights. I highly recommend Ubud Ku Guest House if you are planning to go in Ubud because the host family was very welcoming, accommodating, and made our stay as wonderful as possible.   

Villa Lua - Crescent Room
Ubud Ku Guest House

GETTING AROUND
If you are used to planning DIY trips, Bali might be a little tricky when it comes to transportation. Public buses and trains are not available. So here are some tips on how to get around:

via Taxi
Bluebird is the most famous taxi company because of its reliable service. Beware of other taxis that imitate Bluebird taxis for they might charge you for a higher rate. Always check if the taxi has a meter and that the driver starts it as soon as you start your trip.

via Bus
Kurakura bus is the only one I could find in Bali. Kurakura is perfect for tourists who are on a budget. We were actually planning to ride the Ubud line on our second day, however, our plans have changed and decided to book a private car. Find out more details in their website.



via Uber or Private car
Uber is much cheaper compared to taxis, however, Uber drivers are difficult to contact if you do not have WhatsApp, which is the app they use to contact passengers.
Private car rental is the most suggested for travelers, they cost around 400k (5 hours) to 600k (10 hours) IDR.

Via Motorcycle or Car rental
A lot of tourists actually prefer driving on their own and they are allowed to that if they have a universal license. Other car and motorcycle rental companies also offer to fix your license application if you do not have one. For most places in Bali, helmets are not required for motorcycle driving.

WHAT TO WEAR
Cotton apparel is advisable to wear on a tropical destination like Bali. Even in the wet season, it's still humid, so ditch those layers of clothing and stick with sundresses and camis. If you are planning to visit temples, do note that proper dress code is observed. They're not strict but avoid wearing shorts (men and women) and tube tops (women) to show respect to their culture. In Uluwatu Temple, skirts and belts are provided as you enter the temple.

- * -

So that's Bali in a nutshell! I'm no expert but I hope my simple guide has answered some of your questions about Bali. If you have any doubts, don't hesitate to leave a comment or drop me an email below. :) 


Have you been to Bali? 



P.S. I will be writing about our travel and budget itinerary soon so stay tuned! 

43 comments

  1. Great! I never knew that Bali is such a beautiful place. The Tanah Lot in Canggu looks magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I was in awe when I saw the temple!

      Delete
  2. Hey Melissa,

    I read your post and found interesting things that really surprised me like the accommodation and the budget. I thought Bali was expensive. The photos looks stunning and very useful for Instagram (insta goals) ahaha. Is the food expensive and are there any requirements like visa to get to Bali? or is it hassle free? I've always seen blogs with Bali on thier blog posts and wondered maybe I could go there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shenna! I'm glad you found my guide useful. :) The food there is inexpensive IF you choose the right restaurants! Service charge is really high there, so take note of that as well.

      Best part: Filipinos are not required to apply for a visa to go to Bali! :)

      Delete
  3. I am absolutely awe struck by the beauty of Bali. Being a beach lover, Bali is a dream destination for me. Thank you summing up this beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana! I'm thrilled you liked my post. :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! I've always loved Bali. I've never been, but I've admired many photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bali is such a photogenic place.

      Delete
  5. I am surprised by how affordable it is to stay in Bali! It's a destination that has always been on my bucket list. This is an awesome write up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually surprised at the hotel prices (the first time), too! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought that the accommodation in Bali is much cheaper than in Manila. I always thought that staying in Bali is a bit expensive since it's one of the well known tourist destinations here in Asia. I hope I can visit Bali and experience it's beauty and culture. Thank you for this post, Mel. I've been waiting for this actually. Hehe. Love your photos as always. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shocker, right? Bali is such a well-known tourist spot pero sobrang mura ng accommodations nila! Pero medyo bumawi lang sa transportation, but still!

      Thanks, Laine! ❤

      Delete
  8. I had no idea it was affordable in Bali. I always assumed it was very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked about how their hotels are affordable, too!

      Delete
  9. Wow! Gorgeous images and great tips!! Bali is on my list for this year so this guide helped understand a few things I had doubts about. Can't believe that the accomodation is so affordable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your experience. The Villa Lua room looks beautiful. I would love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check them out. The link is stated above. :)

      Delete
  11. Thnaks for your Bali guide, now I have idea and options when I plan my Bali trip very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to make it out to Bali. I hope to be able to sometime. I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for breaking this down. I've always wanted to see Bali, but honestly haven't looked into it much. This breakdown will help with future planning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Bali...I have never been there but always admired pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really thought Bali is EXPENSIVE! I've been eyeing this destination, but I always think it's expensive there. So, pass muna! Hahaha. But I'm glad it's not as expensive as I think it is. I look forward to your next post about Bali :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! It's not as expensive as other Asian countries, but I would say na dahil 2 lang kami, medyo napamahal din (dahil sa transpo). :)

      Delete
  16. Bali airbnbs are so cute and cheap. Are the resorts there cheap too? I've been seeing beautiful resorts in IG with pools in a forest-y ambiance. And never thought na they have buses! Akala ko by motorbike ang main transportation nila. Are the buses good or siksikan? #DamingTanongAkalaMoPupunta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bea! The resorts in Kuta are cheap din! Pero I checked out other hotels (at Pinterest) and yun yung mga mahal, that's probably in Nusa Dua. I never had the chance to ride the bus because we decided to go for the private car na lang. :D

      Delete
  17. Ok Ubud it is for me .Relaxation and good food.Thats my main holiday criteria.Great snaps

    ReplyDelete
  18. The uber info is soo helpful i winder if all the over seas places use the whatsapp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so! WhatsApp is available in the App/Play Store.

      Delete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is there like a bicycle rental in Bali? Hehe. The Crescent room is sooooo nice it looks luxurious!! It''s $50 for real? And did you avail like a tour or something? :)

    Nika | www.wheresnika.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikaia! Yes, I think there are also bicycles, but a lot prefer motorbikes since they're much faster :)) We didn't avail a tour - DIY Warriors! Haha.

      Delete
  21. Bali is a dream destination and is on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing the great insights on it. Hope to visit there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ang gaganda ng kuha mo, Mel!!! Bali is on my list but I wonder when ako makakapunta! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such wonderful suggestions, you really know your stuff don't you ;)

    XOXO
    kellmenow | http://www.kellmenow.com/blog/
    Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/kell_menow/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whenever I hear Bali, beach agad naiisip ko. Recently lang ako naging aware (also because of blogs) na may mga temples and other spots din dun. :)

    At grabe nagulat ako sa price ng villa ha! As in super mura nga compared sa hotels dito sa Pinas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing nga na rich pa rin sila sa culture and traditions nila even if marami talagang tourists (as in). Haha.

      And yes! Super unfair ng hotel prices here haha! Sobrang sulit dun. Although meron din namang mga 5-star talaga na super mahalers din.

      Delete
  25. SO NICE :) I'm going to Bali in June and am super excited!!
    Thanks for the great suggestions!

    Have a great Sunday

    Michaela
    Michaelablog
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Hope you have fun!!! Please blog about it after, I'll be watching out for it. :)

      Delete

  26. Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept outlook 365 login

    ReplyDelete

Want to share something? Don't forget to include your name and website!

Latest Instagrams

© Melissa the Mermaid. Design by FCD.