SHINE: A Week of Pampering with Althea Korea

Sunday, March 5, 2017


Our skin is prone to dirt and pollution due to harmful environmental factors around us. Even for ladies in their 20's, skin-ageing might already be noticeable. It is not enough that we wash our face with water after a long day. We must take precautions to maintain its health and make sure it receives as much nutrients as it needs.


I was thrilled when I received The Vitamin Box, which is an Althea box from Althea Korea. An Althea box consists of handpicked full-sized products from different Korean brands which are placed in fun, specific categories. The Vitamin Box consists of seven (7) products that claims to nourish and boost our skin's health.

Althea also added a cute concept to The Vitamin Box. A routine was prepared so that you'll get to try all products without doing it all at once and overwhelm your skin. One product is to be tried per day over the course of a week.

MONDAY
Vita Lemon Calming Cream from Mizon


Claims: 
Rich in Vitamin C; recharges energy to your skin and helps it to be stabilized.
Verdict: 
The calming cream makes my skin glow. It hydrates and moisturizes at the same time. However, due to its highly moisturizing quality, it is suitable for colder seasons.

Definitely moisturizing!


TUESDAY
Oil Blossom Lip Mask from Petitfree


Claims: 
Rich in Vitamin E complex; forms a protective layer on your lips; rejuvenates dry, chapped lips overnight; volumizes lip fully.
Verdict:
First thing I noticed is that it makes my lips look plumper. It also can be used as a lip gloss for an extra shine. BUT, it doesn't do a good job on healing and moisturizing dry and chapped lips, even if used overnight.

For the perfect pout!

WEDNESDAY
Gyoolpy Tea Fresh Water from a;t Fox


Claims: 
Infused with Vitamin C; recharges energy for youthful and healthy skin.
Verdict: 
The fresh water feels absolutely refreshing on the skin. The scent is amazing - like nature. Also, it adds a natural glow perfect for an easy everyday look.

Excuse my eyebrows HAHA!

THURSDAY
Body cleanser from Banana Milk


Claims: 
Rich in Vitamin B; gives life back to tired skin.
Verdict: 
The body cleanser has a very soothing banana & bubblegum smell (if that makes sense), I love it! It feels very cool and refreshing on the skin. I do recommend using a lotion after for maintaining skin moisture.

Banana-licious!

FRIDAY
Max Perfection Firming Multi Cleanser from the SAEM


Claims: 
Rich in Vitamin B, D; removes makeup; prevents dryness with naturally derived ingredients.
Verdict: 
After washing, I can immediately feel that my skin tightens and firms. This 4-in-1 cleanser removes makeup and totally zeroes out oil with or without a toner, which is perfect for normal to oily skin. I do recommend using a moisturizer after to prevent dryness.

This is my favorite product out of the bunch!

SATURDAY
3 seconds Starter from Holika Holika


Claims: 
Brightens, hydrates, and clears complexion.
Verdict: 
I use this after washing my face with a cleanser. One thing I noticed is that it minimizes pores and oil. Best results can be achieved with a moisturizer, because it can be a bit drying especially for people with dry skin like me.

I usually pour two drops onto a cotton pad and gently pat it on my cheeks and t-zone.

SUNDAY
Ultra H20 Modeling Pack from Let Me Skin






Claims: 
Rich in Vitamin D & K; relaxes irritated, sensitive, and troubled skin.
Verdict: 
The face mask has a gel-like formula that leaves my skin soft, radiant, and moisturized.

I totally messed up the application on this one. :( HAHA!

Thank you, Althea Korea! ♥

I had fun doing pamper sessions all throughout the week. I hope my honest review gave you an idea on what products to choose for your skin. Do let me know if you have any Althea favorites!

Have you tried Korean skincare products?
Do you have any suggestions on what should I try next? Comment them below.


55 comments

  1. This is very timely. I was just watching 10-step Korean skin care routine before reading this post haha. Thank you for sharing Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you found this helpful! :) Thanks, Danica. ♥

      Delete
  2. I like your routine. In my routine i serach for some glow and I love all the products containing vitamine c so i'd love to try Vita Lemon Calming Cream from Mizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it and see for yourself! :)

      Delete
  3. I would love to try the Mizon Lemon Cream, sounds amazing and who doesn't want glowy skin??? :)

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I love glowy skin compared to a matte look. :)

      Delete
  4. There are so many skincare lines that it's difficult to weed through them all and find the right one. I have heard a lot about korean skincare lines and I am really intrigued! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are so many to choose from! Although, I really do trust Koreans when it comes to skincare. You should definitely try them out. :)

      Delete
  5. Really interested on the Mizon and the oil lip balm. My skin and lips can definitely benefit from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The calming cream from Mizon is certainly moisturizing! You should try it! :)

      Delete
  6. That kilay-less beauty though! Haha. The whole review looks so cute! The one with the capsule caught my attention!! Makes me wanna buy the products bc of the packaging. Haha lol. I'm super obsessed with K-beauty products recently too. Idk, maybe the Kdrama actors and actresses were enough reasons to be swayed.

    xx, The Diary Queen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHAHAA OMG DA. Say hello to my bare face!!!! I was really hesitant to put my kilayless pictures at first but then again, it's skincare! I don't want to be pretentious! :D

      To be fair, Koreans really do have great skin that's why we look up to them when it comes to skincare. ♥

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of any of these products. But the banana milk cleanser sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, me too! I think they're mostly famous in Korea. But they work great, so yay!

      Delete
  8. I liked your honest critique with all of the various items. I also liked that you measured your critique against the products claims. I don't put on much makeup or moisturizer but I know my daughter will some day so it's good to know about these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's so sweet of you to your daughter. Thanks, David!

      Delete
  9. Oh my, that modeling packs looks so cool! And the container looks like a giant pill! Hahaha this is what I also love about Althea Korea. It never fails to surprise their customers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. I love that they have gimmicks like this that makes their customers really excited to try their products. :)

      Delete
  10. Vitamin C rocks for perfect skin. I use the Serious SkinCare line, but think I may try some of your favorites. How does it balance oily skin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the Mizon cream, I think a toner would be very much advisable and a mattifying foundation/powder would balance oily skin. :)

      Delete
  11. I could use a good calming cream after the harsh winter weather. The packaging is just too perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Mizon moisturizer is perfect for cold weather! :)

      Delete
  12. I have practicallt stopped using all products except baby ones .Trying to go all natural .VITAMIN C is great for skin .Will hAve to use this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Although, I'm still making baby steps and choosing cruelty-free products. :)

      Delete
  13. I could use some me time to pamper myself. My kids have been so clingy lately it feels like I haven't gotten a minute alone in a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, amazing mom. ♥ But yes, even a short pamper time will do! :)

      Delete
  14. Ooooh these goodies looks so wonderful. I love the little graphics you added to the photos as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for noticing! I really wanted a cutesy Korean touch. :)

      Delete
  15. My routine is quite short, maybe that's why my skin is so bad! I might try to do more things like you... thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to ignore skincare when I was younger. I just don't like putting too much stuff to prevent irritating my skin! But now I get it, maybe we just need to find the products perfect for our skin. :)

      Delete
  16. First off you have lovely skin! Not a blemish on you! The gel-like face mask looks so cool, I definitely want to try to find one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thanks, Shannon! I think I'm just lucky (genetics). :)) And yes, the gel-like face mask is incredible. It's very refreshing and cool on the skin.

      Delete
  17. Korean skincare products are truly a holy grail! The layout/doodles on your photos are so adorable. :)

    annescribblesanddoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Anne! I'm glad you noticed hehe

      Delete
  18. never tried Korean products but I am considering it as I read various positive feedbacks about it. Good thing you were able to try already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korean take their skincare seriously, and I think, they're much cheaper than western ones. :)

      Delete
  19. Thanks for the review! This product looks like very good for skin & lips.

    www.learn2livefully.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look so adorable! It's the first time I see a capsule like this - quite handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it's very unique! And very reusable for other face masks too. :)

      Delete
  21. Thank for the review <3
    Made me regret that I didn't buy this box TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually sold out! But I think you can still get one, just keep checking their website. ♥

      Delete
  22. Hala, everyone's into Korean skincare! I want to try too! Do you do the actual 10-step routine? Gusto ko i-try kaso nakakaloka yung ang daming products in one go. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't hehe! Ang daming products di ko ata kaya yun :))) More like 3-step routine lang ako. Hehe.

      Delete
  23. Gusto ko itry yung 3 Seconds Starter kasi sabi mo nakakaminimize ng pores!!! Pores talaga problema ko eh hahaha And yung pill, ang cute! :) And parang ang relaxing nya sa mukha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try mo!!! The 3-seconds starter works on me. Ang alam ko available din siya sa Althea for single purchase. :)

      Delete
  24. I've had a recent breakout so I decided to follow the 10-step Korean skin care routine. I wanted to get some products from Althea but the delivery time were too long and I was desperate. So I decided to buy from Miniso and Mumuso instead. Unfortunately, it was too much work for me and I didn't see a dramatic effect so I realized all my efforts weren't paying off. Although they did soften my sebum especially on the nose. Yikes! Now I'm back to local products and I can see my skin going back to normal. Perhaps I should still order from Althea someday as the offer a lot of great deals like this. :)

    xx
    Lyka Chiang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyka! I've tried a few skincare products from Mumuso and I was utterly disappointed. Not only did they made my skin dry, I got rashes pa! :( But good to know that yours resulted to a better outcome than mine! Maybe I'm just unlucky?

      Delete
  25. I've always wondered how Korean products work. I've only managed to get my hands on a few and so far it's doing great. I'm just not that comfortable trying out others as I'm acne prone and have a pretty sensitive skin. Hehe :)

    Nice reviews though! Definitely checking some of it out :D
    xx jhanzey.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jhanz! I recently just started trying Korean products and SOME work for my favor. Haha I have sensitive skin as well!

      Delete
  26. Is the 3 seconds Starter from Holika Holika worth it? I read that it minimizes pores based on your experience, I really hope it does! Cos it's one my problems I want to focus on. I have to say, ang cute ng photos mo Melissa! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for appreciating my photos, Diane! Kahit wala akong kilay on all of them HAHA! And yes, the 3-seconds starter definitely works. You should get it! :D

      Delete
  27. I has fun reading this. You're so cute! That big capsule really caught my attention. I'm thinking of getting one too. Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Want to share something? Don't forget to include your name and website!

Latest Instagrams

© Melissa the Mermaid. Design by FCD.