SEE: Things to do in San Juan, La Union

Sunday, February 26, 2017 San Juan, La Union, Philippines


Lately, everyone seems to be heading to La Union for its beaches, restaurants, and surfing spots. That is why my friends and I decided to have a weekend getaway to San Juan to check it out for ourselves. Keep reading to know more about our quick escape!

How to get to San Juan, La Union

1. Ride a bus from Cubao heading North (Vigan or Laoag).
  • Dominion Bus Terminal (PHP 390) EDSA corner New York Avenue. Route will pass through TPLEX that will take 5-6 hours.
  • Partas Bus Terminal (PHP 425) along Aurora Blvd. Journey to La Union will take 6-8 hours.
2. Get off at San Juan Surf Resort or Costa Villa which is just a few kilometers away from each other.


Things to do in San Juan, La Union


SURF. La Union is most known for its majestic waves. In San Juan alone, numerous beaches have already become popular surfing spots for beginners and skilled surfers alike. 

Just a few steps outside where we stayed (Costa Villa) is a surfing spot. However, the waves were crazy wild that day so the trainers led us to a much more subtle beach with waves perfect for beginners.

Surfboard PHP 200/hr
Surfboard with trainer PHP 400/hr
- * - * -


TREK. A not-so-hidden gem in La Union is Tangadan Falls, which is 30 minutes away from San Juan city proper. Our hotel arranged for a jeepney to drop us off at the starting point of the trail. There, the guide briefed us that we will be trekking for more or less an hour to the falls. The trail itself was bearable, and the scenery we pass by were serene and breath-taking.

Environmental fee PHP 30
Raft to go under the falls PHP 30/person 
Life-vest PHP 50  




Norelli - Me - Alvin - Josamm - Gladys - Krizzy - Kim

- * - * -


EAT AND REPEAT. If you opt for a relaxing stay in LU, you might want to check chill foodie hubs we came across in San Juan.
  • Flotsam and Jetsam Hostel. First resto we visited in San Juan. Great ambiance, pricey food. I recommend going here at night instead of lunch time.
  • Surf Shack. We rode a jeepney from Costa Villa to San Juan city proper, however, we were craving for rice so we opted for another restaurant.
  • Mad Monkeys. We considered eating here for lunch but there were no more tables available.
  • Angel and Marie's Place. This is where we had lunch after 2 restaurants later. They offer the best home-cooked breakfast meals. 
 

- * - * -


CHILL AT NIGHT. Unlike Boracay's crazy night scene, La Union offers mellower hippie ambiance. We headed to Flotsam and Jetsam Hostel (again) and discovered our new favorite night place in LU. Beach mats were spread-out across the shore with huge pillows and colorful bean bags. Best part is - they have awesome 70's and 80's music!!!!

- * - * -


WATCH THE SUNSET. Just a recap on our geography subject, La Union is at the west side of the Philippines overlooking the Philippine Sea, meaning the sunset is fully visible by the beach. We literally chased the sunset because we just finished surfing and quickly headed to the beach to watch the picturesque scene.  





This February 2017 was my first time in La Union and I'm certain that this won't be my last. I have yet to explore different places in La Union, not just in San Juan. Hopefully, there will be a part two of this blogpost soon. :) 

Most pictures used in this post belongs to my friend and photographer, Josamm Felices.

Have you been to San Juan, La Union?
Do you have any suggestions to add on my list? Comment them below.


41 comments

  1. Love the photos! I'm thankful for this post as I'm drafting out my backpacking itinerary and we'll be stopping at LU then so this is really helpful. BTW, what's the font you used in your cover photo? If you don't mind ;)

    Nikaia | www.wheresnika.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you found this helpful, Nika! The font is Hijrnotes! ♥

      Delete
  2. When I was still taking my undergrad course in Baguio, LU has been our go-to place during sem-enders. Good thing we have a friend who lives near San Juan so we had no problem when it comes to accommodation (and food). Haha! We've tried hostels too, and I think they are pretty cheap compared to other beach destinations. But I'll definitely try those food spots on my next visit. I've heard a lot about them!

    xx, The Diary Queen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Accommodations in La Union is very cheap compared to other tourist spots in Luzon. Sobrang pasok sa budget pati ang pamasahe. :D

      Delete
  3. Great post!!!!
    Kisses
    Marta

    www.lagattarosablog.it

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place. Anywhere that you can surf and hike is good with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! There are a lot of places here in the Philippines that have surf spots and hiking trails. :)

      Delete
  5. Very nice place for this coming summer season. What are the upcoming summer events in La Union?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you mentioned a lot of think to do outside. I love to explore and be out and about when I visit new places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a beautiful place to go! I don't foresee any overseas traveling any time soon, but I do love traveling somewhere near the water!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all such great photos. I'd love to visit that waterfall and go to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made me miss La Union so bad!!! I miss surf shack's pizzas!!! :(

    xx jhanzey.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 2 favorites are trek and eat and repeat!!! Looks like a fun place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never been, but this looks like so much fun! I love the waterfalls! They are so enchanting to me. I would love more places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider visiting Philippines in the future! :)

      Delete
  12. I love anywhere there is water. It looks like a dream. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great, really! :) But hey, there are more waterfalls here in the Philippines! :)

      Delete
  13. I've never been but it sounds like so much fun and I love all of the pics you included!!! Seems like an awesome place

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems like a budget friendly place to visit! I love to experience surfing too! Hopefully I can visit Philippines soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very budget friendly! And you can explore the place in less than two days!

      Delete
  15. I have a 5 year old .So all holidays we head to a beach.Love the sea.Enjoyed the pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amrita! I'm a beach lover as well!

      Delete
  16. How good you decided to do this instead! It must be really wonderful there. Thanks a lot for sharing.
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. San Juan looks like a beautiful destination for a weekend escape! Looks like you had a wonderful time there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you liked our place! The next time you visit, try El Union's Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sayang nga di namin napuntahan El Union! I'll be back for sure! ♥

      Delete
  19. This was our target destination last year. I enjoyed surfing in Baler, so I wanted to visit La Union too. Anyway, the plan still remains a plan. Hahaha.

    You might want to visit Sundowners Vacation Villas :) it's a perfect place to relax with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, Karen!

      If you ask me, mas bet ko pa rin ang Baler. ♥

      Delete
  20. I haven't been to LU despite the distance lang niya from Manila. Haaay nako! Bet ko yung chill night lang. There's music tas kwentukwentuhan lang by the beach. That is life! haha! And the falls too. From 1/10 gano kahirap yung trek?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leggo!!! Sobrang chill lang talaga.

      If I have to rate the trek, it would be 1 (1 being the lowest). Sobrang dali lang talaga haha mahaba lang at mainit.

      Delete
  21. Those sunset photos are so gorgeous!

    7% Solution

    ReplyDelete

Want to share something? Don't forget to include your name and website!

Latest Instagrams

© Melissa the Mermaid. Design by FCD.