SPEAK: 2016 - The Year I Became a Blogger

Monday, January 2, 2017


Finally, 2016 has come to an end and all I've been hearing is people hating its guts and celebrating the fact that we can start anew. Well for me, that's not the case. 2016 is certainly one for the books.


2016 has opened a lot of doors for me. It allowed me to explore new possibilities and take risks. I started blogging. A few months later I created my blog, I started vlogging as well. I'm still a newbie at both, nonetheless, I am proud of myself for having the courage to share my life to the world. Of course, it has not been easy - it's still not easy. I have my low times wherein I doubt my capabilities and want to give up. Crybaby and overemotional at most times, I tend to turn to my family and boyfriend to stay strong. 


Why I started blogging 

To be honest, here is the real scoop why I started to blog. A loooong time ago, I was a Tumblr girl - a wallflower to be exact. I used to stay up all night reading life stories, laughing and crying at humorous movie lines, and connecting with people I personally do not know. However, I really didn't share anything about me then. Nothing personal. Then I grew older, I stopped Tumblr-ing and focused on school more, hung-out with actual people, and leave my Tumblr-self behind. After almost six years, (with a few pushes), I decided to go back to my blogging self, but much better. This time, I actually share my stories.  


Why I started vlogging

Ironically, I dread being in front of a camera. Anything that includes acting, I'm out. I like being at the other end wherein I can control and direct the flow of the story. The actual reason why I decided to vlog was because of a client. They gave me a generous offer wherein I need to compose an article and a video review of their products. In my mind, I immediately shut out the idea of doing a vlog. I even considered to just make an awkward video and not share it to any of the people I know (lol). BUT, after days of thinking, I decided to wing it, go out of my comfort zone and took the deal. I just thought that after this video review, I can just leave it like that. Boy, was I wrong. I ACTUALLY ENJOYED IT. I made FIVE vlogs in one month. Did I mention that I am also a full-time Software Engineer? Meaning: I do not have spare time, but I still continued, I was absolutely thrilled! 


I learned my strengths and weaknesses

I'm pretty pleased with my editing skills even if I just edit with PowerDirector and Microsoft PowerPoint. Hindi naman halata diba? LOL. I know I still have A LOT to learn, but hey, at least I know I'm doing something right! ;)

The areas I have to improve on are my vocabulary (for blogging) and speech (for vlogging). Believe it or not, when I was younger, my favorite subject was English. I enjoy grammar checking, subject-predicate agreement, all that jazz! The only time English bores me is when we learn about vocabulary. I mean, how can I possibly memorize a thick small-font dictionary? I admit - I still use the Synonym function in MS Word. I am certainly not the best in public speaking because I stutter especially when talking to a camera! However, these things cannot stop me from dreaming AND reaching my goals! I know I can do it. I just have to remember that I am doing this because it makes my soul happy, my eyes shine, and my heart skip a beat. This is what I want to do. 


All my gratitude

To my readers, I would just like to thank you for all the support and love you have given me. You have made me feel appreciated and special for the past six months. I am so blessed to be able to connect with you and be part of your worlds because YOU hold a main part of my world. Cheers to the new year. Let's keep on swimming, mermaids!


SALAMAT, 2016.

23 comments

  1. I'm glad you pursued v/blogging, and that you got to share your thoughts! I am a full time software developer so I know how you feel haha! Thank you and I hope to see more for you in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know how we do it! LOL :) Thank you so much, Nichie! I actually envy your kasipagan to vlog! Haha!

      Delete
  2. So happy that you pursued vlogging. Tbh, whenever I watch your vlogs and other PH based bloggers turned vloggers, it kind of gives me courage to do it din. Continue being an inspiration to your readers/followers, and producing awesome contents Melissa :) Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I know you can do it, Danica! I admire your creativity, I'm sure your vlogs would be wonderful. Thank you so much for your sweet words. Happy new year to you, too!

      Delete
  3. I always wanted to try vlogging but I don't even get time to blog so I guess vlogging is not for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not? I think everyone can vlog, but maybe in different ways? :)

      Delete
  4. So proud about your growth, Melissa! Haha. I hope I could start vlogging na rin this year. Haha. Happy new year, btw. <3

    xx, The Diary Queen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you, Da! I hope to see your channel soon! I'm sure you'd do great!!! :D

      Delete
  5. Really, last year ka lang talaga nagstart magblog? I thought you've been blogging for so long na. Yung tipong parang ako na nagstop lang pero bumalik din magblog haha you're really good ha! Nahiya naman ako wahahaha

    And yes to vlogging!!! Ano na hinihintay ko part 2 ng thailand mo hehehe

    Wishing you a better 2017 ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm a newbie! Haha!

      I'm so sorry for not uploading Part 2 yet. I was really in a "vacay mood" last December. Buti nga naka-upload pa ko nung year-ender. :))))

      Happy new year, Mei! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm thinking of starting a vlog too but I dread talking in front of a camera. Even if you look at my Instagram (My username @itsmarialyssa ^^,) I rarely (very rarely) posts selfies. Anyway, I'm glad you pursued both blogging and vlogging, despite what people think, they're real careers now, and connecting with people is a plus :)

    STYLE VANITY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you, girl! I am so awkward in front of the camera. But hey, it's worth the experience! I hope to see your channel soon, and I'll check out your IG feed, too! ;)

      Delete
  7. It's amazing how much progress you've made when you just started out, Melissa! Keep up! I'm a little late but I'll be watching your vlogs when I have the time. Hihi. Happy new year! To more blessings this 2017 :)

    Loi x Wanderlaska

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not too late! Please subscribe ha hahaha! :)))) Thank you so much, Loi. Happy new year!

      Delete
  8. I'm also a software engineer, but I can't even have time to make a blogpost lately. I admire you to being able to do that AND vlog! You da real MVP, hahaha.

    xx, Richel V. | Richel Goes Places

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! Hindi naman ako masipag, mas masaya lang talaga ako sa paggawa ng b/vlogs kesa sa full-time work ko. =)) #hays hahahaha.

      Delete
  9. Awwe. 2016 was definitely a year of self-discovery which is also the same on my part. Cheers to a better 2017, Ate Melissa! Happy new year. :)

    Augustin Ra / Indie Spirit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year, girl! I hope 2017 will be better for us! :)

      Delete
  10. Great to have you in the blogosphere! I work in the IT field too so I know how hectic your work will be. It's awesome that you found time to do vlogging too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our jobs are stressful! Although, both blogging and vlogging requires hard work, I enjoy doing them better. ♥

      Delete
  11. I love reading about people's blogging journeys! So awesome to be a software engineer slash blogger slash vlogger. You go, girl!

    www.jeannieinabottleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, Jeannie! I hope to read one of your journeys soon, as well. ♥

      Delete
  12. Same! Can't be in front of the camera! But loved watching your vlogs either way. And yes to Tumblr being the root of it all!
    Caffeine Rush

    ReplyDelete

Want to share something? Don't forget to include your name and website!

Latest Instagrams

© Melissa the Mermaid. Design by FCD.