SPEAK: Weight a minute

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

If you know who I am, you obviously know that I am on the lighter side of the weighing scale. I have had my fair share of people commenting about my body saying - that I need to eat more, or I'm too dried out, or I look prettier when I gain a few pounds, or even asking me why I need to go to the gym even if I'm underweight. BREAKING NEWS - it's none of your business.



Lately, I have been stalking Lovi Poe's Instagram account because omg, she's absolutely gorgeous. There's this photo that caught my attention - Lovi was in the beach smiling ear-to-ear in a bikini top and shorts and as always, she looks effortlessly stunning. She was happy and confident. However, I can't help but read through the comments that were mainly "Pangit na tignan, masyadong payat", "Kain ka naman", and worst "Kadiri" which was utter BS if you ask me. Lovi is perfectly healthy. For some (including me), she's a #fitspiration. And more importantly, that's what matters - HEALTH!!! 

So why do these people keep on commenting that she is as malnourished as Olive Oil (no offense, Olive)? Because, we were raised this way.

As Filipinos, it has been our habit to notice and tell people straight to their face, "Uy, tumaba ka!" or "Grabe kumain ka naman". It's not like we thought of this on our own, it's been a part of our culture. Our titas, titos, ninangs, ninongs, lolas, lolols, etc. have been saying these to us every Christmas gatherings and family reunions. This has made us think that commenting on somebody's weight is just a way of greeting with no harmful intension. Children of all ages have been insecure since then. So they tend to pass the shame onto others and so on.

I have been really insecure about my weight when I was younger. A lot of people (including my friends) tell me that I have flat chest and I'm too thin since forever. This really hurt me. I don't show it but deep inside I was sad. But when I grew older, I knew better. I knew that this is what God gave me and it's something that I should love and protect. I started going to the gym, not to follow anyone's advice, but to be fit and healthy. I want to take care of what God gave me. Nobody can tell me what I am or what I should do with my body.

My weight doesn't concern anyone, but me.


Thanks for reading. :)

Just keep swimming, 
Melissa 

7 comments

  1. I had the same issues! Even after having a child I'm still skinny. They always kid me that the wind might blow me away. Of course i laugh at it, but whenever I'm alone I feel bad about it. My body is naturally skinny no matter how I eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain, Juvy! I just think people should stop teasing ANYONE regarding their weight. It's all natural and part of being human.

      Delete
  2. I had the same issues! Even after having a child I'm still skinny. They always kid me that the wind might blow me away. Of course i laugh at it, but whenever I'm alone I feel bad about it. My body is naturally skinny no matter how I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, it's good to have more of these thoughts out here :-)
    http://leopardella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Want to share something? Don't forget to include your name and website!

Latest Instagrams

© Melissa the Mermaid. Design by FCD.