SHINE: Colourpop Ultra Matte Lip Review and Swatches

Sunday, August 28, 2016 Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines


Ultra Matte Lip is the first ever product I purchased from Colourpop, and it did not disappoint. I learned about Colourpop from YouTube beauty vloggers (ex. KathleenLights, CosmobyHaley, Shaaanxo) that are obsessed with these amazing products.

I got mine in the shades Beeper, Tulle, and Are & Be.

Ultra Matte Shades

Beeper is a mid-tone taupe and is a dupe of Dolce K from Kylie Cosmetics. 
Beeper Lip Swatch

Tulle is a dusty mauve burgundy that gives a heavier dramatic look compared to Beeper.
Tulle Lip Swatch

Are & Be is a rich mauve plum which is perfect for cool tones.  
Are & Be Lip Swatch


What's Hot
  • Opaque and highly pigmented. Basing on its name brand, would we doubt it?
  • Easy to apply. One liquid lipstick comes with a thin and normal-sized applicator.
  • Dries down quickly. 1-2 minutes.
  • Does not transfer. 99% Kiss proof - Yep.
  • Longevity is 10-12 hours (while avoiding greasy food)
  • The variety of colors to choose from is phenomenal. I think it's unfair to the others that they have so much colors available! How can a girl choose???
  • Very similar to Kylie Lip Kits. A lot of speculations are roaming around because these products have a lot in common, including their manufacturer.
  • Affordable. USD 6 for this quality? Yasss! I think this is one of the most affordable liquid lipsticks in the whole world.
What's Not
  • Definitely dries your lips, which is given for it's a liquid matte lipstick. Tip: Be sure to moisturize your lips first before putting on liquid lipsticks by putting a thin coat of lip balm or lip primer.
  • Hard to remove, which can also be a pro, if you're looking for a lipstick that will last all day. If you're having problems however, check out my post on How to Remove Matte Liquid Lipsticks.
  • Old formula peels off (sometimes). One time I was wearing Beeper when I really did have dry lips and I was eating something oily, it crumbled and then peeled off! This highly disappointed me. But with the new formula, this has never happened to me. So I suggest ditch the ones with the old formula then go get the new ones. 
Where to buy
  • Colourpop via international shipping. I haven't tried this way, though.
  • Yourmakeupstoreph (ig: @yourmakeupstoreph) They restock every month. They have limited on-hand products, and you can also pre-order. For pre-orders, 50% down payment is required. 
  • ColourpopPH (ig: @colourpopph) They also have on-hand products and do really fast shipping. If you order 6 or more, they offer discounts. Pre-orders are also accommodated. 
Hand Swatches

From my observation, Are & Be and Tulle have better textures than Beeper. Beeper, as the lighter shade, tends to settle on my lip lines and crumble on dry lips. This got me thinking that lighter shades show the dryness more compared to the darker shades. However, Beeper has a faster drying formula compared to the two.


The newer formula has received praises online compared to the original. Colourpop announced that they have changed the formula of their Ultra Matte Lip liquid lipsticks to make it less drying and more comfortable on the lips. I think this is proven in Are & Be which is the newest shade in the three.




Summary
Pocket-Friendly ♥♥♥♥♥
Color Selection ♥♥♥♥♥
Long-lasting ♥♥♥♥♥
Quality & Texture   ♥♥♥♥
Health & Safety ♥♥♥♥

Recommendation
Beeper (new formula not the old one) for any skin tone
Tulle for warm skin tones
Are & Be for cool and/or dark skin tones



Have you tried Colourpop's Ultra Matte Lip?
Did you like the formula? Share your thoughts below! ♥



Just keep swimming,
Melissa

52 comments

  1. Yes, they have international shipping but I haven't ordered anything yet. The shades you chose are pretty, I love Are & Be! :)

    Yiota
    Pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tulle shade on you. Hope I could pull off those tones. I'm planning to purchase my first colourpops soon becuase of the great reviews! <3

    xx The Diary Queen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Da! I'm sure you can rock dark shades too. ♥

      Delete
  3. I really love tulle! X
    http://www.thoughtsinstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly love all the shades especially the Tulle one! :) Hope to hear from you soon! x

    Love, Airish
    Gorgeous Glance
    http://www.airishabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love te Tulle color, I think it's so glamorous and perfect for the cold season :D


    http://thewonderfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. They are! That's what I love about them. Thanks, Hannah! ♥

      Delete
  7. All of them look super nice! Love the review :)

    What about following each other?

    Caro x

    http://nilooorac.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Caro! And sure, I would love to follow you! I'll drop by your blog! ♥

      Delete
  8. Thank you, Vildana! And sure, I would love to follow you. I'll check out your blog! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love the shades, so gorgeous, Thanks for sharing!

    www.tessyonyia.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everybody should do tutorials like this, real people with real color! I really like it!
    www.audreyisaboy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosamarie! I'm glad you liked my post. :)

      Delete
  11. Loving those lip colours! I think I like beeper the best. I could see myself rocking that daily!

    xoxo Rina
    http://www.andshedressed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rina! Yeah, Beeper's neutral shade is perfect for everyday. :)

      Delete
  12. I haven't tried this one, but I will surely try it. I like the beeper one, it looks great on you, Melissa :) Very nice review :)


    love, jonine
    http://joninegarcia.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jonine! Out of the three, I could say that Beeper is one of the popular ones. :)

      Delete
  13. Amazing colours!
    Love this lipsticks. ♥
    https://ivafdiary.blogspot.ba/

    ReplyDelete
  14. These colours look so incredible, thank you for sharing! You seem so lovely and have a really amazing blog too, I love making new blogger friends so let me know if you would like to stay in touch! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Adele! I'd love to follow your blog! ♥

      Delete
  15. I never tried Colourpop so far - but I see this is a must as the shade are fantastic and so wonderful deep and intensive! Thanks for sharing <3
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rena! I'm glad you liked my review. :)

      Delete
  16. Oh these are some lovely colours! I'm so glad that they improved the formula :)


    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mica! :) I'm glad they changed it, too. The old formula was really drying!

      Delete
  17. I haven't tried it yet but have heard so many good things about them! I'm really into matte lips! Definitely need to give it a try! *-*
    Leni :*
    http://www.theblondejourney.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great review, never heard of this brand but you are making me want to give it a go!

    XOXO
    kellmenow | http://www.kellmenow.com/blog/2016/8/25/rain-rain-stay-away
    Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/kell_menow/
    Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/kellmenow/?fref=ts
    Twitter | https://twitter.com/kell_menow
    BlogLovin | https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/blog-kellmenow-14252307

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly! Glad you liked my review. :)

      Delete
  19. I loved these lipsticks, being matte and drying fast, but then you said that they dry the lips... and mine are so dry already, always wearing balms all the time to keep them moisturized! I am following you on Twitter now! Hope you have a nice week!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! Yes they are drying, but if you're interested, they also have Ultra Satins! :)

      Btw, I followed you back. ♥

      Delete
  20. Tulle is so beautiful! I really want that shade even if I can get my hands on just one shade xx

    www.wildfirecharm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is a gorgeous shade. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  21. OMG! Lovely shadesss! <3

    xx,
    Jewel
    www.jewelclicks.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review. I love the look of these glosses and the shades look great! So interesting to hear they're made by the same manufacturers as the Kylie kits, I didn't know that. When you compare the price and the fact you're saying there's not much difference, I know which one I'd rather spend my money on! Really want to try colourpop, but the shipping and fees put me off.

    Love Hannah xx

    www.HannahHawes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they have the same manufacturer - that is a fact that also Kylie opened to the public. I hope they come up with physical stores soon! Thanks for reading, Hannah! :)

      Delete
  23. Ahh! These shades are gorgeous! I definitely NEED them ASAP!! Just discovered your blog and I adore it so much! I followed you beautiful!
    Lots of love from Mollie xxx | http://wwwtheperksofmolliequirk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mollie! ♥ I'll follow in Bloglovin' :)

      Delete
  24. Thanks for the review Melissa :) I'm so excited to get mine, but I got the Matte X Lippe Stix hehe I hope they're as beautiful and as pigmented as the Ultra Matte :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the Matte X Lippie Stix, but I heard they're really matte like the UML but not drying! :)

      Delete

Want to share something? Don't forget to include your name and website!

Latest Instagrams

© Melissa the Mermaid. Design by FCD.